Saturday

My prayer tonight.

If I curse diapers and late nights and the inconveniences of parenthood, remind me that there are those whose arms ache to hold a baby.  If I curse the coming of an empty nest, remind me that there are those would would give everything to see their children grow up healthy and independent. 

If I curse the work that sustains our family, remind me that there are those who would love to have any profitable work, much more that which would be safe and secure.

If I curse the compromises of marriage, remind me that there are those who will never be able to marry or even spend time with the person they love the most.

If I curse the marks on my walls or the noise of my appliances or the state of my furniture, remind me that there are those who do not have any of those things to call their very own.  If I curse the mess on the floor, remind me that it's because my home is occupied by people who love me. 

If my definition of "hungry" means that there is nothing in my kitchen that meets my cravings of the moment... if my definition of "lonely" means that my friend didn't call me back... if my definition of "tired" means that my eyes ache from reading my favorite books... if my definition of "injustice" means that I had to pay extra for my insurance... if my definition of "underprivileged" means that we don't get a vacation this year... remind me, Lord, remind me.

And Lord, if I ever complain about being bored, please give me some work to do, as there is so much that the world needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!